About SLOH

I am 30 years old, married to a wonderful man, and finally working my way to wellness after an entire lifetime of misdiagnoses, epic diet failures, depression, and general malaise. It's a daily choice, but one I'm happy to finally be able to make, with help from a few key people in my life.

8.10.2012

Pumpkin Makes Everything Better

I cannot take credit for this post at all, because my husband was the brains behind the whole thing, but I wanted to share nonetheless so you can all benefit from his brilliance.

I was avoiding cleaning, and procrastinated most of the day.  But now, after 2+ hours of cleaning our apartment, it feels SO good to have it done!  Matt finished his cleaning jobs and then settled in to make salmon, kale and the reason for this post - PUMPKIN MUFFINS!

For the salmon, Matt "juiced the crap out of" 2 clementines and marinated the fish for about an hour (although admittedly it probably should have been longer, and probably with more clementine juice).  Then he topped it with lots of cumin, cinnamon, paprika, crushed red pepper flakes and salt - all to taste.  What do you want from the Italian?  :)  He says that is the order of spices from what he used most to what he used least.  Best of luck for those of you trying it out!


For the kale, which came from our friend's mom's garden about 2 weeks ago and still looks amazing, we just used a lazy garlic press to crush 2 garlic cloves, added a full skillet of kale (almost overflowing) and drizzled olive oil over the whole thing and cooked it til it wilted.

For the pumpkin muffins, we started out with this recipe from Dashing Dish, and made a couple of adjustments (not many):

2 eggs (instead of 3 egg whites - you could also use 2 tsp flaxseed meal mixed with 1/2 c water if you're vegan or egg-free)
6 packets of stevia (instead of 8-12, although the muffins were definitely NOT very sweet, so maybe 8 would be better)
no salt
random amounts of cinnamon, nutmeg & ginger (because we didn't have pumpkin spice).


The consistency of the muffins was perfect, but as I mentioned, they could have been a little sweeter... I'm thinking I might heat one up for breakfast tomorrow with a little butter and maple syrup - I'll let you know how that goes!  They also *really* stuck to the muffin cups, so I might grease those a bit next time, or try just using the tin, greased without paper cups.  As I adjust the recipe further, I'll keep you posted, but honestly, if you're in the mood for fall, these are a great use of canned pumpkin and super healthy!  Happy healthy eating!

Oh and a little spawn footage, just for fun :)


No comments:

Post a Comment