About SLOH

I am 30 years old, married to a wonderful man, and finally working my way to wellness after an entire lifetime of misdiagnoses, epic diet failures, depression, and general malaise. It's a daily choice, but one I'm happy to finally be able to make, with help from a few key people in my life.

8.20.2012

The Pumpkin Continues

Well as you may have noticed, we didn't need an entire can of pumpkin for our pumpkin muffin extravaganza.  So, while I am late in posting this, the next morning, we "indulged" in pumpkin pancakes!! :)

I started with the recipe for South Beach Oatmeal Pancakes, and of course tweaked it based on what we had around the house (and doubled it - who wouldn't want double pancakes??)!

What resulted were delicious, albeit not so fluffy, tastes of fall! :)






Pumpkin Oatmeal Pancakes

1 c old-fashioned oatmeal
1/2 c canned pumpkin
5 eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract (it's best if you can find the alcohol free variety), approx.
1/2 tsp cinnamon, approx.
1/2 tsp nutmeg, approx.

Blend all ingredients in blender until smooth.  I find it's easiest to layer ingredients wet-dry-wet for ease of blending.  Grease a skillet or griddle (I used a cooking spray, but you could use coconut oil or butter as well) and pour batter into desired pancake size drops.  Cook first side until bubbles appear, then flip, and cook until underside is slightly brown.  Top with your choice of butter, maple syrup, honey, fruit preserves, apple butter (I just made myself want to try that!!!), or fresh fruit.  We used butter and maple syrup, which worked out nicely.

Regarding my absence this past week, I was working at a summer camp for performing arts all week and MAN, was it exhausting!!  I was NOT getting enough sleep for this growing baby, and I paid for it with horrendous food cravings (which I tragically indulged), and a return of some unfortunate symptoms.  I gained a couple of pounds, suffered with itchy scalp (which is now improving, but not gone), and just generally felt depressed and foggy.  What did I eat you ask?  I ate a blended peanut butter cup/ice cream dessert from Friendly's, and one breaded-fried calamari.  Yep, that's all it took.  Lame.  I've also been living on carbs, and while they are technically permitted on my current diet, I've been eating them too often for my blood sugar/adrenal glands, hence the weight gain.  Now I've gotta cut back and indulge in these fresh seasonal fruits & veggies before the summer is gone!!

On a more positive note, my prenatal vitamin that I've been taking has been out of stock at Whole Foods.  Why is that positive you ask?  Because we found out that the reason they are out of stock is because the manufacturer is having a shortage of the ingredients because of the mid-western drought.  I was actually thrilled to find that out because I think that's exactly what should happen to our foods/supplements.  They should be impacted by climate changes.  It made me feel so happily natural and earthy.  :)  I may have eaten ice cream, but I'm also doing something right by this kid of mine by consuming natural, whole supplements to feed his/her growing body.

And while we're on that subject, Squirt had a little growth spurt in the last 10 days.  When we went for our first, unsuccessful anatomy scan, the little one was measuring at 19w4d - a little behind where we thought we should be, but nothing to worry about.  Now today, at our second, succcessful anatomy scan, s/he measured at 21w5d - a day ahead of our calculations!  Way to grow, Squirt! :)  Can't wait to meet you in 4 months!  (Did I really just say FOUR???  Oh my....)



2 comments:

  1. The first 3 months feel like an eternity and then after that it's full speed ahead.

    I was diagnosed with interstitial cystitis last year in Sept. My diet can really mess me up. I have to be careful about what I eat. Sometimes there is more than one trigger working at the same time (stress, hormones, too much exercise) but so far I've been able to manage without all the crazy medicine they want you to take. Stuff that makes you nausea and your hair fall out. NO THANKS! I'll give up chocolate, caffeine, carbonation, tomato sauce, etc. instead. So, I'm right there with you in this dietary restriction thing. :) It gets easier over time and sometimes I still sneak a piece of chocolate without a lot of ill effects.

    Wow, this was long...sorry about that. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the support, Christy! Way to go med-free! I totally support that decision. I think if you can give up the things that are bad for you (mostly), it's way worth it to not have crazy side effects that are so often WORSE than what you had to begin with! I've been on this diet basically since October of last year, but I went through a dark period of cheating after my loss in November. Been back on since January though, and most of the time it's actually pretty easy. Just figured I'd start the blog in case there are others out there in the same boat who need ideas/support! :)

      Delete